Lately, it seems like there are a zillion ways to connect your devices, but most of them require one thing: a WiFi router. And while they’re pretty easy to find and buy, the prices can vary greatly. Even if you do buy one, the best WiFi routers out there will set you back at least $100. Thus, to save cost, you may need to explore ways to convert a USB dongle into a WiFi router.
The best way to get a WiFi signal in every part of your home is by purchasing a router. These devices are more expensive than other WiFi options, but they offer a stronger signal and the ability to expand your network as needed.
However, not everyone can afford one. If you’re looking for an affordable alternative that still offers a strong signal get a USB dongle, This is how to convert your USB dongle into a WiFi router:
- First, connect your USB dongle in USB slot.
- Then, using a LAN cable connect the laptop with with the router. The LAN cable will be the input for your laptop internet. You may need a LAN adapter for some laptops.
- Open your internet browser and type 192.168. 1.254 or a similar IP address. You can confirm your IP address from your router’s description or installation guide.
- The browser will give you the router configuration page. Specify your ISP (For example example: AT&T)
- On the web user interface, set the required fields including a password and username.
Instead of buying a WiFi router, why not use something you’ve already got in your house? That’s right, your USB dongle! You just need some tools and about 30 minutes for this task. It’s not complicated and it doesn’t require any power supply so it can be done anywhere. Plus, it costs less than 10 bucks!
Decide on a USB dongle
The first step is to decide which USB dongle you’d like to convert. You can use any one that has a chip on it. The most popular are those for Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile.
The first step in this process is to decide on a USB dongle. These devices convert the WiFi signal from your modem into a wireless network for all of your devices.
There are many different types of dongles, so it’s best to do some research before making a purchase. To start, you’ll need one that supports 802.11ac and at least 300 Mbps speeds, if not more. You’ll also want one with a good range.
What do you need to do to make this work?
USB dongles are a fantastic option for those who need WiFi access in one location. However, if you want to use it on multiple devices simultaneously, this is not a viable option. To make your USB dongle work like a router, you will need:
- A USB dongle
- An Ethernet cable
- A computer with an available USB port
- A laptop or desktop computer to use as your WiFi router
Connect the router to your device
In order to convert your USB dongle into a WiFi router, you need to first connect the router to your device. There are three different ways to do this. You can purchase a second USB slot and plug in the router into it.
If you don’t want to purchase a second USB slot, you can find an open network on your device and connect it there. Lastly, you could use the cloud – if your device is connected to the internet, you can use Google Drive or Dropbox as a hotspot for the WiFi router.
Setting up the WiFi network
Before you get started, you’ll need to purchase a USB WiFi dongle that works with your computer. You can find these at any electronics store or online.
If you have an iPhone or iPad, there are many different types of WiFi routers available in the Apple Store.
Once you buy one, connect it to your computer via USB and follow the instructions that came with the device to set up a wireless network.
How to connect dongle to WiFi router
First, you will need a USB dongle. Some good ones to consider are the TP-Link N300 or the Cisco Valet Plus WiFi.
Then, you will need an ethernet cable and your WiFi router. Plug the ethernet cable into the USB port on your router and then plug it into your computer’s Ethernet port.
Your internet signal should be showing up on your Wi-Fi settings screen now! If not, you may need to go into your network settings and select the wireless network that is broadcasting from the router.
Now that you have set up your WiFi connection for your computer, you can use this same process with any device that has Wi-Fi capabilities. This includes laptops, smartphones, tablets, etc.
How to connect 4G dongle to WiFi router
If you want to convert your USB dongle into a WiFi router, all you need is an old computer and some basic knowledge of networking.
Start by connecting the dongle to the computer with a network cable. Next, log on to your router’s administration page. Once there, select the wireless settings tab (or whatever tab is related to your specific model) and change the SSID and wireless password.
This method can be used for connecting 4G dongle to the DLink WiFi router, Netgear, TP-Link, Asus, and other brands with a USB port.
Convert 3G dongle to WiFi adapter
If you have a USB dongle from your mobile phone company, you can convert it into a WiFi router by following these steps.
- Connect the 3G dongle to your computer and open the control panel on Windows.
- Click on “Network and Sharing Center” and select “Set up new connection or network.” In the window that pops up, choose “Connect to a workplace.”
- Enter in the appropriate information about your work or home network for these fields: Work or Home Network Name, Username, Password, Security Type, and Sharing options.
- Select “Create Virtual Hard Disk.” This will create an .ovf file that can be used later to connect this wifi adapter to other computers in your home.
- Plug in your USB dongle into another computer running Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 SP1 or Vista SP2. The first time you do this on any given computer, you will need to go through the usual setup process for this device (installing drivers).
- Open Control Panel again and click on “Network and Sharing Center” then select “Set up new connection or network.” In the window that pops up, choose “Connect to a workplace” then enter in your information as necessary (work/home network name, username and password). You will now see both networks available on
How to make a USB WiFi adapter into a WiFi Router
A USB WiFi adapter is a device that plugs into a USB port on your laptop or desktop to connect to the internet. It’s easy to find one and they can be fairly affordable. However, turned out, there’s more you can do with them than use them as a simple internet connection. You can actually turn your USB WiFi adapter into a WiFi router by following these steps:
- Plug the WiFi adapter into any open USB port on your laptop or desktop.
- Turn off the WiFi connection on your computer.
- Turn on the “Share Internet Connection” setting in Windows 10 – Windows 8 – Windows 7 – Vista – XP.
- Once you have completed these steps, check for new wireless networks and you should see one named “WiFi Network” with an SSID of “WiFi Network 2.4GHz” or “WiFi Network 5GHz” depending on which frequency range it supports. Select this network and enter in a password if you want to create security for it and then connect to it from other devices in order to access the internet through it.
Can dongle be used as WiFi adapter?
USB dongles are a useful tool for mobile device owners who need to access the internet without using data or want to connect their computer to the internet when they don’t have an available WiFi signal. They plug into your USB port and create a WiFi hotspot that connects to the internet, so you can use your device as if it were connected to a network through WiFi.
If you want to convert your USB dongle into a WiFi router, follow these steps:
- Remove the USB connector from the dongle.
- Use a paper clip or needle to push holes in the casing of the dongle.
- Insert the USB connector back into the dongle.
- Plug in your new WiFi router to an outlet and enjoy
How to make dongle WiFi hotspot
The first thing you need to do is find a USB dongle that has an external antenna. This will allow the dongle to support multiple devices at once, increasing your WiFi range. Next, choose a location for your router near a power outlet and connect it to your modem with an Ethernet cable.
Take the Ethernet cable from the modem and plug it into one of the built-in ports on the USB dongle.
Now, take another Ethernet cable and plug it into one of the open ports on your USB dongle (don’t worry about which port). Now, take the other end of that Ethernet cable and plug it into an open port on your WiFi router.
Just like that, you now have a WiFi hotspot! You can use this hotspot to connect any device with WiFi capability (e.g., laptop, smartphone, tablet) in any location in your home or office.
How to connect Jiofi to router with USB
You need to buy an ethernet cable, WiFi router, and a USB dongle with built-in WiFi. These are the steps:
- Connect the ethernet cable to your modem and plug it into the WAN port on your WiFi router.
- Connect the other end of the ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports on your WiFi router.
- Plug in your USB dongle into a USB port on your computer.
- Open up a web browser and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press enter.
- Type in admin for both username and password, then press login. STEP 6: Click on Wireless Routers from the left sidebar menu, then click Add New Connection.
- Choose Static IP Address from the drop-down menu and set IP Address to 192.168.2x (where x is any number between 2-254).
- Enter Subnet Mask as 255.255.255.0 and Gateway as 192.168.2x (where x is any number between 2-254)
- Once done, complete the steps as follows are you are connected.
With all this talk of the Internet of Things (IoT) and digital transformation, it’s easy to forget that there are still a lot of offices around the world with nothing but wired internet. It can be a major inconvenience for employees when trying to work remotely or when someone needs to use the internet for an important meeting.
The most common way to solve this problem is by installing a separate hotspot device. Here are some steps on how you can convert your USB dongle into a WiFi router.
Why would I want to convert my USB dongle into a router?
Converting your USB dongle into a WiFi router is an affordable alternative that still offers a strong signal. If you don’t have the money to buy a router, converting your USB dongle will help you extend your WiFi signal throughout your home.
Can I plug a dongle into a router?
As we said, USB dongles offer a strong WiFi signal. However, they’re usually limited to a smaller radius of coverage than a router. The major downside is that the WiFi signal dies off the farther you are from the dongle. That’s why we recommend plugging your dongle into an old router with spare ports. The ports don’t have to be active, but it does need to have power and be connected to an outlet for this to work
What are the challenges in converting a USB dongle to a router?
The process is an advanced project that requires some technical knowledge about computers and networks. Before you get started on this project, it’s best not to attempt it unless you know what you’re doing. Doing so can cause irreparable damage to your computer or network which may lead to downtime or non-functioning devices in the future.
2 thoughts on “Convert Your USB Dongle to a WiFi Router: A Step-by-Step Guide”